Saturday, April 3, 2010

About time for an update!!!


It's been quite a while since my last update but for the moment I have put my engine upgrades on hold until I get the chassis/running gear sorted out to my liking.

On that note I have recently fitted vented discs to the front end and as they are only the same diameter as standard they won't improve the braking but they should run cooler and stop any brake fade when they are used in real anger like when we were on the Club Triumph 10 Countries Run, we did get brake fade once or twice coming down the long descents from the mountains.

Also yesterday afternoon before going up to my local CT meeting at the Old Stone Trough in Kelbrook I fitted some uprated front springs. I thought I may have gone too far at a rating of 650lbs but they are a revalation they have transformed the front end of the car and it just seems to go where you put it with very little body roll. It is certainly much better on wet greasy roads. I still need to try it on dry tarmac. I was amazed at the difference because the springs I took off were already stronger than standard at a rating of 480lb. I can only put this down to the fact that the rear of my car is very stiffly sprung (really a bit too hard for my liking) and that fitting even stiffer springs at the front has balanced the car up instead of the front of the car trying to do most of the work.

Also I have ordered a full retrim kit in leather for my seats and headrests from Park Lane Classics as my seats don't hold me in place when pushing on around the twisties anymore.
I could of gone for the cheaper option of MX5 seats or bucket seats but I still think reupholstered originals are best. Rob Southerns newly upholstered Spitfire seats were used in my car on the last RBRR and were superb, allowing the passenger to recline full length and get some sleep. I don't think I will get my seats done in time for the HCR as it is going to take at least 3 weeks for my seat covers to be made and delivered. So Rob and I may be using his seats again in my car.

No comments: